Saturday, December 27, 2014

Farewell, Franky

Even before Camden was born, I secretly hoped that he would be a pacifier/binky baby.  I had read how sucking on a pacifier reduced the risk of SIDS, and as a new mother, I wanted every reassurance that I could have - even if it meant a pacifier might form a habit and be something we would eventually have to take away.

My wish was granted.

Fast forward two years, and clearly - Camden has formed a loving attachment to his binkies, Franky (the frog) and Ducky (the duck).

The binky was wonderful to have when Camden was sick, or when he was crabby in the car and we were trying to make it home in one piece. But it was time. I've been talking about getting rid of the binky for literally months.  September was crazy, and knowing that we were going to be doing lots of flying and staying in unfamiliar places - I didn't want to be without it.  I had my mind set on a long weekend in October, but was newly pregnant, exhausted and nauseated, and had zero will power to fight the binky fight.

We had made a big stride when around his 18 month birthday, we took the binky away during the day, and it only stayed in his crib so he could have it at nap time and bed time.  He would still ask for it during the day, but we were able to distract and redirect his attention to something else.  The funny thing is that with our trips to Michigan and Disneyland, that rule pretty much went out the door and he had that thing in his mouth almost the entire time. Not one of my prouder moments, I assure you, but I didn't want to rock the boat. 

Daycare was another issue.  I didn't want to send him to daycare without his binky and leave his daycare ladies to deal with a crazed toddler at nap time, screaming for his Franky. Maybe that's their job and that's what we pay them for - but it just didn't sit right with me.

Anyway, after much deliberation and self talk, I decided that Christmas Day night, we would take it away for good.  Merry Christmas to Camden, right?  Ryan and I both have some vacation from work - so we figured that if it was a rough experience that led to loss of sleep, we could at least catch up and sleep during the day.

Several weeks ago, the actual binky/nipple part of Franky started to rip, and we used that as sort of a stepping stone to elimination.  He still clung to the thing for dear life and would put it in his mouth - but you could tell he wasn't really sucking on it and that it was there for comfort.  We checked it every day to make sure the rips weren't becoming a choking hazard, and kept our eyes on the Christmas Day prize.

Between the ripping stepping stone and the fiasco that was Christmas Eve night, I wasn't sure how traumatizing it would be for him. He didn't nap well Christmas Day so come nighttime, he was so incredibly exhausted that we hoped it wouldn't be a big deal.

While I got him ready for bed, Ryan cut the entire binky off of Franky and handed it to Camden in preparation for his bedtime story. The poor kid turned Franky head over feet five times and was totally confused - clearly looking for the binky. Both Ryan and I had to hide our laughter and assure him that it was still Franky. 

We put him to bed with extra hugs and kisses and held our breath as we closed the door.  And wouldn't ya know? He was absolutely mouth-open-knocked-out before we even made it downstairs.

We breathed a sigh of relief and kept our fingers crossed that he would stay asleep. He woke up at 12:45 that night and was pretty upset. I went in, hugged and rocked him a tiny bit and laid him back down - only to have him scream bloody murder for about 10 minutes. I was watching him on the monitor and he finally laid himself back down and fell back asleep. Amen, hallelujah. 

I was so excited and proud of him but in the back of my mind I knew that the next day's nap and bedtime could go disasterously since he was so incredibly exhausted at the first try. 

Guess what? They didn't go disasterously but went incredibly smooth.  No fuss, no tears, no nothing. He did fake cry for about two minutes last night but it was the fakest cry ever and apparently it was only worth two minutes of his time. 

Part of me is sad that this part of his life is over. It's another scratch off the "things that remain of baby Camden" list. But, I knew in my head and my heart that it was time. 

I suggested to Ryan that we let him pick out a stuffed animal to keep in his crib. He was quick to say, "Lauren. Franky is a stuffed animal." Touché. 

For the record, Camden has had a death grip on Sir Franky at each sleepy time since we took away the binky. 

I guess we'll have to settle for some celebratory fro-yo.

Farewell, Franky.

Take Luck,

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I love this story--also, cannot believe how old Cammy is. It feels like he was born just yesterday (although I haven't had to put up with screaming nights, so maybe it's just me). Can't wait for his new brother or sister!


Thanks for stopping by! I love reading comments, so please feel free to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...